Search This Blog

08 January 2011

Great Day for Soup




My friend Betsy made Carrot Ginger soup this week and it sounded wonderful. So, I thought I would give it a shot. I have been on a ginger kick this week and made ginger tea from fresh ginger for the first time. I love cutting into fresh ginger as it has an amazing lemony smell. I was going to make the version of Carrot Ginger soup that Bets made (vegan) but I remembered I had some homemade turkey broth in the freezer that I wanted to use.

It is very cold today but sunny. When I checked this morning at 11:00am it was only 16 degrees. It has now warmed up to 21 degrees!!! This soup is great for a cold day as the ginger has a wonderful warming effect and it makes the whole house smell incredible. I enjoyed looking out my kitchen window at the snow glittering in the sunshine while I was cooking. Today is a good day.









CARROT GINGER SOUP

INGREDIENTS

1 medium sweet onion, sliced thin
2 lbs. of carrots, sliced thin
2 cloves of garlic minced
fresh ginger peeled and sliced thin (this is to taste, I used approximately 1/2 cup sliced but you can use more or less)
1/4 cup cooking sherry, dry white wine, or water
8 cups of broth, chicken or turkey
1 14 oz can of light coconut milk
4 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
1/2 cup of toasted pine nuts
fresh ground pepper
fluer de sel or other course sea salt


in a heavy sauce pan 7 quarts or larger, saute onions in olive oil on low heat until translucent.
add garlic and saute until caramelized
pour in sherry and deglaze pan
add carrots and broth
increase heat to medium high until boiling and then reduce heat to low and simmer for one hour









let cool for 15 minutes and then puree in small batches in either a blender or food processor.
stir in coconut milk

garnish with fresh ground pepper, fleur de sel, and pine nuts



The following is the appoximate breakdown of nutritional information.

No comments:

Post a Comment