Search This Blog

08 August 2011

Camping on the 17 Day Diet

We just got back from 11 days on the beautiful Drummond Island off the east end of the upper peninsula of Michigan.  We try to go every year but were unable to do so last summer.  We camped at the Township Campground which is right on the lake shore.  I was so afraid to get on the scale this morning but was happy that I only gained 3 lbs!!!!! We tried to eat well but of course had alcohol and a lot of carbs.  But w also did a lot of hiking on gorgeous mossy trails like this:




and kayaking on glassy water, which killed my arms and I am sure burned a lot of calories!!



I made a bunch of hard boiled eggs prior to leaving and brought yogurt and fruit, low carb bread and wraps, turkey sausages, veggies, and of course stevia, which all helped us stay on the diet.


Here are a few of the recipes I made while camping.

Camping Asian Slaw



one medium head of Napa Cabbage, shredded and put in a zip lock bag
1 medium sweet onion halved and sliced
1/4 cup of soy
10 drops of stevia extract
1/4 cup of white balsamic vinegar.



Put all ingredients in the zip lock and shake until well coated.

We had these with Hebrew National low fat hot dogs in 1/2 piece of Flatout bread with a pickle!!  Yum.






Irish oatmeal with apples and cinnamon

Make oats according to directions but during the last 20 minutes add one apple  and one teaspoon of cinnamon per two servings.  Top with agave nectar and fat free milk.



Grilled Chicken Breasts and Ancient Grains.

I brought premade ancient grains cooked in chicken broth and reheated them on the camp stove and tossed in some chopped yellow squash with it.  I cooked the chicken breast over the fire.




We also had to have s'mores.  This time I did chocolate graham crackers and jumbo marshmallows with dark chocolate.



Drummond Island is so beautiful.  Here are couple of more photos.  The last is us crossing the Mackinaw Bridge on our way home yesterday.

Mr. Caterpillar. 

Love for DI.

2 comments:

  1. Great job. That's the worst for me too. The camping gets me EVERY time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I have lost 3.5lbs since yesterday :)

    ReplyDelete